Is New Twitter This Bad?
For almost two years now, I've been singing the praises of Twitter, the 140-character social media platform. I've talked on the air and on this blog about how useful it is, how flexibile (perfect for mobile) and how much fun. I still want you to follow me on Twitter and follow WABX, too. But having been such a Twitter booster, I can't help but feel slighted that they've gone and fixed something which wasn't broken. I wonder if you share my disappointment in the recent changes.
The dubious changes to the layout don't seem to serve a purpose, the scrolling is choppy and haphazard, and its slow... really slow. I think this tweet sums it up:
"Is New Twitter waaay too slow? Judge for yourself. Lots of people tonight tweeting that The Beatles are going to break up."
I know that tweet well. I wrote it. I was pissed, and with good reason.
How bad is New Twitter?
Think New Coke bad. Cavs without LeBron bad. Gary Cherone-era Van Halen bad. Drunk texts at 4:00 AM bad. Black Eyed Peas at halftime bad. Stoplights on the Lloyd Expressway bad. More stoplights in the plans for Highway 41 bad.
I've steadfastly clung to Old Twitter, vowing to give it up when they pry it from my cold dead thumbs. I recently received a survey from Twitter asking why I refuse to use the new version. I wanted to share my comments with you, and ask if you agree. This is the feedback they received from me.
- New Twitter is choppy (does not scroll smoothly) and slow. When I tweet, I have to wait much longer for it to show up in my timeline. Meanwhile, my screen remains frozen and useless until it updates..
- New Twitter does not show the number of DM's I have received, so I have to depend on e-mail to be notified when I have a new DM..,.
- When tweets from unfamiliar people show up, I want to know who they were RT'd by. New twitter does not show this without having to go searching...
- When I click on someone's name, it only shows the three most recent tweets. That's not enough to judge whether I want to follow or communicate with this person...
- At the top of the right side of the screen, it shows my most recent tweet, but truncates it...
- Sometimes the profile information appears at the bottom of the screen instead of at the top...
- What a mess!
Again, please don't let this sour you on Twitter. It's still great, just going through some growing pains.
I'd love to know what you think. Tweet your comment to me @StevenWABX or e-mail me at Steven@wabx.net.